Whole30 Steak Bites with Sweet Potatoes and Peppers
These Whole30 steak bites are packed with tons of flavor and huge pops of healthy vitamins and minerals thanks to colorful sweet potatoes, bell peppers, green onions, and fresh cilantro. This weeknight Whole30 dinner recipe takes one pan and is ready in under 45 minutes. It's an incredibly flavorful dinner you'll love whether you're on the Whole30 or not, and is also gluten free, dairy free, and totally kid friendly! #whole3 #steak
- 1 large sweet potato (about 12 ounces) diced into 1" pieces
- 1 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1 lb flat iron steak diced into 1" pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bell peppers seeded and diced into 1" pieces
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- Place the diced sweet potatoes into a microwave safe bowl, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Cover with a plate and microwave on high until just barely tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir once halfway through. The potatoes are ready when you can piece one with the tip of a knife and meet just a bit of resistance. Take care not to overcook at this stage or they'll turn out mushy later.
- Heat a 12” skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add the steak in a single layer. Cook, turning every two minutes, until the pieces are browned and the center is medium, about 10 minutes. Remove the steak from the skillet using a slotted spoon and set aside onto a plate.
- Add the third tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Add the sweet potatoes, toss to coat in the fat and cook until browned, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the pan and add the garlic. Sautee, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the bell pepper and scallions and toss with the potatoes. Sautee, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are bite tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the steak and juices back to the pan along with the coconut aminos. Toss all ingredients and cook an additional 1- 2 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the pepper and cilantro, toss, and remove from heat. Portion onto plates, top with additional fresh cilantro if desired, and serve immediately.
Calories: 460kcal (23%), Carbohydrates: 25g (8%), Protein: 22g (44%), Fat: 30g (46%), Saturated Fat: 10g (50%), Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 81mg (27%), Sodium: 650mg (27%), Potassium: 535mg (15%), Fiber: 6g (24%), Sugar: 8g (9%), Vitamin A: 12700IU (254%), Vitamin C: 186.5mg (226%), Calcium: 50mg (5%), Iron: 4mg (22%)