Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
Happy Birthday to me! Yep, this was my birthday cake. And let me tell you, this is a dessert worthy of the name "cake". It was decadent. It was dreamy. It made my tastebuds do a happy dance. Then, it made me realize I had to get it out of the house. Stat. Did I get it out of the house? Not so much. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of cheesecake recipes on the blog. It's actually not my favorite dessert.
Oreo Cookie Crust
- 18 whole Oreos (Double Stuf or regular)
- 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, melted
- 16 oz (448g) full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60g) yogurt*
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (180g) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (or regular size)
- homemade salted caramel
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two 12-count cupcake pans with 18 liners.
- For the crust: In a food processor or blender, pulse the whole Oreos into a fine crumb. Stir the cookie crumbs and melted butter together in a medium sized bowl. Press 1 heaping Tablespoon of mixture into the bottom of each liner, see picture above for a visual. You should have enough for 16-18 cups. Bake in batches for 5 minutes and allow to slightly cool as you prepare the filling.
- For the filling: In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the sugar and yogurt and beat on medium speed until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract and mini chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into the crusts until nearly full. Bake each pan for 20-23 minutes. The centers will still be slightly jiggly, that's OK. The centers may also have risen up quite a bit, but they will deflate as the cheesecakes cool. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely at room temperature, at least 1 hour. Transfer to the refrigerator and allow to chill for at least two hours.
- Before serving, top each cheesecake with salted caramel and additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Cover leftover cheesecakes tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing: After the cheesecakes have cooled to room temperature, you can freeze them. I recommend freezing without caramel. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and top with salted caramel before serving.
*Sour cream OR nonfat, low fat, vanilla, plain, Greek or regular yogurt is OK.